[CentOS] More on Re: Really changing the hostname

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Feb 15 19:18:00 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 02:02 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> oh yeah do this in a ssh session
>>> man "service network restart" works and does not lock you out
>> ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0
>> ...works for me.   But most of our machines have multiple interfaces
>> so  I'll  usually connect to a different one
> ah and all your interfaces are connected to the WAN?
> why?
>
>> while I change a NIC
>> setting - and the most common thing would be to change the IP address
>> anyway
> ah and that is why you suggest
>
> service NetworkManger stop
> chkconfig NetworkManager off
>
> to somebody which locks him out and even after a cold reboot
> comes up without network because you missed "chkconfig network
> on" - but not relevant, there would have been no connection to type
> it after shutdown NM

I just checked this on my new server running network with how it comes
'out of the box'.

chkconfig --list shows both NetworkManager and network as on right now.

I suppose to future proof myself it would be wise to still run
"chkconfig network on"; it hurts nothing if on and could save me if a
future release is shipped defaulted off.

hmmm.  I did set network on in my kickstart to do a netinstall; maybe
that is why network is on now?  Doesn't matter, I suppose.