[CentOS] Setting up bind - location for includes

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Feb 15 19:47:37 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 02:27 PM, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 11:44 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I am setting up bind this time around (just rebuilt my test machine via
>> Kickstart) without chroot.
>>
>> I have a fair number of includes for named.conf; I have two views and
>> other odds and ends.  My thoughts are to make a directory; /etc/named.d
>> to put all these includes into instead of 'dirtying' up /etc.  This way
>> the only files I replace/add to /etc are named.conf and rndc.key (I
>> would like to work the latter around to also be in named.d, but this
>> impacts rndc itself).
>>
> There is an /etc/named directory included in the bind package, I assume
> that it is meant for this purpose...

It is for your zone files, not necessarily for your named.conf
includes.  Bind can write to this, and if your includes are there, in
theory, more zones could be added to your domain.

> I just changed my config to use that (with the chroot package) as it get
> bind mount from the standard startup script

The lastest part of this thread is me getting 'current' and moving from
relying on chroot and following Redhat/NSA recommendation to just use
selinux protection.