[CentOS] More on Re: Really changing the hostname

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Fri Feb 15 20:09:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> On 02/15/2013 01:35 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> ifdown eth0
>>> ifup eth0
>>>
>>> If you are changing related routes or the MAC address, do the down
>>> before the change so the right values are seen.  If you change
>>> something that doesn't affect the address you can usually stay
>>> connected if you put both commands on one line with a ; separator.
>>
>> Shows how long it has been.  A dah moment when I saw your response.
>
> Oh, and if you're changing the MAC, don't forget, as of CentOS 6, to edit
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. If you don't, you're hosed.

That has not been my experience? We have a bunch of mini-itx machines with
realtek cards in them that have a high failure rate. I have been swapping
them for intel cards. I have never messed with the udev rules. All I do is
edit the HWADDR line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* to show the
new MAC. I then shutdown the machine, replace the NIC and restart.

These are headless C-6 machines built from a ks.cfg file. Metworkmangler
never gets installed.

What is messing with udev rules supposed to be necessary?

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org