[CentOS] More on Re: Really changing the hostname

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 23:04:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> dmaned - it is enough to enter the MAC at one place
> it does not matter that you have to look at udev and ifcfg
> the point is you do NOT need to put the MAC in both

And my point is that once the machine has booted and created the udev
rule file, it will also have created matching MAC entries in the
ifcfg-* files.  It is as much work to remove them as to use them as
the starting point when adding the rest of the settings.  Except maybe
in your unusual case of knowing a running system is going to be
moved/cloned to known new MACs.

> i said nothing more and nothing less if you go back in
> the thread and if you do not understand this be happy
> with write MAC addresses twice at every change, i keep
> on doing no useless copy of config-settings and that
> i made some undret dist-upgrades in a few years without
> production shows that i am right and know what i am doing

Sure, but there is always more than one way to do things. And like the
people who sell investments are fond of saying, "past performance is
no guarantee of future results".

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com