[CentOS] Not - Re: New DNS server up and running

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Feb 21 15:16:41 UTC 2013

Robert Moskowitz <rgm at ...> writes:

> It looks like no system, internal or external could access the DNS on my
> new server.  IPTABLES was set for 53 both UDP and TCP. Firewall was OK.
> In fact a local system on the same subnet, thus NOT going through my
> firewall was denied access to the internal domain.  Localhost of course
> works.
<SNIP>
Not sure what you mean be "Localhost of course works."  Are you using:

dig @localhost any mysubdom.mydom.com

to see if the DNS server is responding?

If not, try dig on your DNS both using @localhost, @int.ernal.ip.addr and
@ext.ernal.ip.addr and then try it from other systems on your network.

The first thing to do is to make sure the DNS server responds correctly to
queries.

Cheers,
Dave