[CentOS] Force CentOS 6.3 to discover new video card

David McGuffey

davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Sat Feb 23 19:33:52 UTC 2013

I want to add a new video card that will drive multiple monitors.
Current installation of CentOS 6.3 x86_64 is working well with the hdmi
output of the motherboard.

Once I install the new video card, how do I force 6.3 to discover and
configure it?  Seems with 6.0 and newer, system-config-display is gone
and replaced with a combination of udev and xrandr.  I'm not familiar
with these and don't want to mess up a working system. Tips/pointers to
some decent guidance/how-to docs would be appreciated.

DaveM