[CentOS] How to re-enable Adobe Flash in Firefox

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Sat Feb 23 19:51:46 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 14:29 -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
> Mozilla seems to have disabled Adobe Flash in a recent update.
>
> I have one 6.3 Desktop load that I need flash. when directed to the
> Adobe site and download the latest version, yum tells me I have the
> latest version for x86_64 already installed.
>
> I must keep the wife happy with Facebook and YouTube--and if the wife
> isn't happy, no one in the house is happy.
>
> How do I re-enable flash?

I have found that the install script in the rpm from Rpmforge is
lacking.  It looks for the link for the plugin in several places, but at
least in 32-bit CentOS 5 it uses the wrong ones.

Look for where the plugin lives ( probably something
like /usr/lib/flash-plugin or maybe /usr/lib64/flash-plugin ) and read
the "setup" script.  It's a fairly simple shell script that will create
a symlink for the plugin somewhere that Firefox can find it.  In my case
the setup script fails because it looks for the Firefox installation in
the wrong places.  You should have a directory such
as /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or probably /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins and
that is where Firefox ( and some other browsers ) will look.  Create a
symlink in that directory as root pointing to your flash plugin and
restart Firefox.

That's what works for me.