[CentOS] Warning: Your BIOS is broken

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Feb 24 12:22:51 UTC 2013

On 02/24/2013 06:39 AM, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 22.02.2013 21:10, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:

>>> what is the challenge?
>>> there is no difference add or remove a param at boot
>> If you get the option wrong and the system will now not boot?  Then you
>> have to boot from a recovery CD, mount your harddrve /boot and edit out
>> the change from grub.conf and try again.  All the time you SHOULD have
>> been working on something else.
> Nah. Just go into GRUB's kernel command line edit mode during boot and
> remove the offending option to get the system up. Then you can edit
> grub.conf at your leisure.

The one time it happened to me, this did not work.  I can't find the
details, but I think I had some other option set and I could not get
into this.  I seem to recall the problem was the video option and driver
for the DecTop that had the Anode chip.  For install, I even had to
build a special iso with the proper drivers in.  But for a couple years,
those DecTops were fun to play with.  One of the first fanless
affordable systems; at the time I was working with a small group that
was looking into a home server.  Something that is commodity now.

But I will remember this for the next time!

Oh, I recently pulled one out of the dustbin to put XP on it as a client
test system.  Around here, I need to watch my pennies and I try to use
what I have...