[CentOS] running yum update on remote servers

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Mon Feb 25 17:41:13 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| I have read a couple old threads here on updates for servers, and I
| am
| looking for some mechanics to getting the actual updates done.  I
| don't
| want automatic updates; I want to control when and what gets updated.
|
| First I have to determine that a particular server needs updates.  I
| suppose a daily script that would run "yum check-updates' and emails
| me
| the results could work, but then I would only want the email IF there
| was something to update, at my limited use of this option does not
| show
| anything to trigger a notify on changes.  Does anyone know of a
| script
| that would do this?
|
| Then there is the actual update.  I learned long ago NOT to run yum
| over
| an SSH connection, as WHEN that connection breaks in the middle of an
| update, you can have quite a problem to clean up.  All I have done
| todate is to start vncserver and connect via vnc to then run yum.  I
| can
| even drop the vnc connection and come back later to check results.  I
| have considered running yum disconnected (? when you end a command
| with
| &) and log the results to a file that you check later.  What are
| practical approaches to this?  I only have a few servers here to
| manage.

This is where you need something like Katello or Spacewalk.  These are management systems which look after managing your infrastructure in such a way that you can view what servers are out of compliance and what patches are waiting to be applied.

I'm currently evaluating Katello as a long term solution to our Red Hat GNU/Linux management.  I'd hazard to guess that you'll probably want to do the same too.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw