[CentOS] running yum update on remote servers

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:43:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM, David Hrbáč <david-lists at hrbac.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
> We update all the boxes over ssh. Works fine. Those who are afraid of
> disconnections may always run it within tmux/screen session. As to
> managing the whole infra, the best tool for that is Spacewalk, but it
> might be too big for you. So, you can have nagios to check yum status on
> all the boxes. There is also a tool called apt-dater, see
> http://www.ibh.de/apt-dater/ Regardless the "APT" in the name it handles
> yum well.

I don't remember if I've tried this or not, but it should work to simply:
nohup yum -y update &
and disconnect (or not....).  Nohup will redirect stdout and stderr to
a file named nohup.out that you can check later if you haven't already
redirected elsewhere and disconnects the command from the terminal
session so it won't be killed if you log out or disconnect.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com