[CentOS] Samba authentication against 389 DS

Todor Petkov zakk at online.bg
Wed Feb 27 15:50:21 UTC 2013

On 27/02/2013 05:27 PM, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> a lot of different ways to handle this - it all depends upon which
> language/tools you use.
>
> I have used Webmin LDAP Users & Groups module which can set the
> sambaNTPassword and userPassword to the same value after encryption.
>
> I have also written a framework application in ruby on rails for my
> current employer which does this and much much more.
>
> There is also a smbldap-tools perl toolkit which can integrate with
> samba and can do the same thing.
>
> Craig

Thanks, I will check smbldap-tools.

I have already users in LDAP. I know, it will be easy if there is a new
user, then I will just use the same password in the values, but I need
to sync the current encrypted password to SambaNTPassword, which uses a
different algorithm. Or just reset and send a new password to the
person, but if he wants to change it via ssh (passwd), it will change
only the password, not the samba one.

As for crypt method: I meant "encryption algorithm". I am using SSHA
passwords, not crypt.

Regards,