[CentOS] GUI volume control/mixer in C6??

Fred fred.fredex at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:12:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013-02-24, Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote:
> > sigh.
> >
> > Frank, what is it that appears in the notification area? the speaker icon?
> > I have that.
> >
> > Liam, that's not the tool I'm asking about.
> >
> > On c5 (and a prior installation of C6 on different hardware) I could get a
> > mixer to appear by double-clicking the speaker icon. this had sliders for
> > all the various input and output devices, like MASTER, PCM, CD, etc. now I
> > can't get it and don't know what to do to get it. As far as I recall I
> > never did anything special on the other systems, it just worked.
> >
> > Further clues appreciated.
> >
> > Fred
>
> For a system running pulseaudio, the closest equivalent I can think of
> is pavucontrol. But CentOS doesn't ship it. I just use alsamixer.

ah, having done some digging, it appears that what I'm accustomed to
seeing on C5 is "mixer_applet2", which is apparently a gnome utility.

it doesn't seem to be available in C6 (presumably Gnome dropped it in
the Gnome version used on EL6).

it's a useful tool, lets me adjust the volumes of various inputs and
outputs SEPARATELY from the single volume slider that is a panel
applet, so I can get sane volume levels from all devices.

on my C6 system without it, some devices are enormously loud and some
are not, for any given slider setting, and it's a pain in the rear.

I've got alsamixer (and alsamixergui) and they only show two sliders,
one which is the same as the panel applet with single slider (you move
of of them and the other moves with it) and one slider for input.

I can't find a pulseaudio mixer or volume control anywhere, either.

On my netbook (running Fedora 17 with MATE desktop) I've got
mate-volume-control, which looks pretty much exactly like the tool I'm
accustomed to, but I don't suppose I could expect it to run (and work
properly) on EL6.

What do all the rest of you do to solve this problem?

Thanks!

 Fred