[CentOS] GUI volume control/mixer in C6??

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Feb 27 22:57:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:35:00PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:31:34PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:

> > > What happens when you hit <f5>? I get two controls....
> > >
> > >         mark
> >
> > nothing much,... all the desktop icons blink and nothing else
> > that I can see.
>
> OH DUH!
>
> you meant hit F5 while in alsamixer! DUH!
>
> it just shows me "master" and "capture". same things I get in
> alsamixergui.

Ah. Eureka!

Hit F6 and it offers two choices, "default" and "HDA ATI SB". Chose
the second one and suddenly 12 channels pop up!

but it's still weird...

I can adjust the volume (only 2 channel stereo) by tweaking "master",
"pcm" or "front".

but the instant I touch the volume conrol in vlc (probably others too,
but vlc is what's running at the moment), or the volume slider applet
on the panel, "pcm" and "front" jump to 100%causing a huge jump in
volume. I don't recall that the applet I've been using for years on C5
worked that way. this is a pain.

Thanks for the advice and hand-holding, guys!

Fred
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.