[CentOS] Newbie - yum update and repos problems

Bruce Whealton bruce at futurewaveonline.com
Thu Feb 28 01:21:19 UTC 2013

Hello all,
       So here is my problem.  I did some searches online about this and was
a bit confused with regard to something.
There error I get when I run yum begins with
" file:///media/CentOS/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read
file:///media/CentOS/repodata/repomd.xml"
I'll include the full error log below.  When I did some searching online, it
said to check the yum.conf file.  When I do that, inside
/etc
When I open that file, and scroll down, it says that I need to add the repos
to that file or to add them to add them to files named file.repo in
/etc/yum.repos.d
Those repos do exist and as example, here is what I see in the file
virtualbox.repo which is /etc/yum.repos.d/
The contents of that file are:
[virtualbox]
name=Oracle Linux / RHEL / CentOS-$releasever / $basearch - VirtualBox
baseurl=http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/el/$releasever/$basear
ch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc

So, from the error log below, can I put this:
 base: mirror.cogentco.com
 c6-media:
 centosplus: mirror.dattobackup.com
 contrib: mirrors.lga7.us.voxel.net
 extras: centos.aol.com
 rpmforge: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 updates: mirror.symnds.com

into the /etc/yum.conf just as it appears in my copy and paste just above?
And then it might work?  Still curious why it didn't work with the
files.repo respository files.
Ok, the full error listing is next, thanks in advance for any help:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
 * base: mirror.cogentco.com
 * c6-media:
 * centosplus: mirror.dattobackup.com
 * contrib: mirrors.lga7.us.voxel.net
 * extras: centos.aol.com
 * rpmforge: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * updates: mirror.symnds.com
adobe-linux-x86_64                                       |  951 B     00:00
base                                                     | 3.7 kB     00:00
file:///media/CentOS/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read
file:///media/CentOS/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
file:///media/cdrecorder/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read
file:///media/cdrecorder/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
file:///media/cdrom/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read
file:///media/cdrom/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
c6-media. Please verify its path and try again

Bruce

Bruce Whealton - Web Design/Development/Programming
Future Wave Web Development:
http://futurewaveonline.com
Developing for the Desktop as well as for
Mobile Devices - Smartphones/Tablets
Call 919-636-5809