[CentOS] Centos6.4 via CR-repo; boot problems -solved by removing kmod-nvidia

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 11:21:30 UTC 2013

On 28/02/13 10:52, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
> Op 28-02-13 10:04, jvermeulen schreef:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> after updating to Centos6.4 via cr-repo, my laptop hangs on:
>>
>> starting crond :        ok
>>
>> I booted in single user mode but I'm not sure what to change ....
>>
>> The laptop is an older MSI, hardware details attached.
>>
>> what could be the issue here?
>>
>> greetings, J.
>
> Solved after removing Elrepo-package kmod-nvidia.
> I had that installed for being able to use an external monitor.

Without posting any details like what version of the driver you are
using, or a copy of your xorg.log file showing the errors it's
impossible to say or do much other than guess at the problem.

However, I have done my best to test your scenario. The latest NVIDIA
driver to support your hardware (from elrepo) is kmod-nvidia-304xx, the
304 series legacy driver (if you are unsure, trying installing and
running nvidia-detect from elrepo which will advise you of the correct
driver for your hardware).

I can tell you that this driver works fine with the 6.4 update. There
was some doubt about whether older drivers would support 6.4 as Xorg
received an ABI update to 13.1 in the 6.4 release which older display
drivers might not support. However, I have confirmed that the 304.xx
legacy drivers and the latest 310.xx series NVIDIA drivers both fully
support the version of Xorg shipped with 6.4

So, my best guess is that you were maybe running an old version of the
NVIDIA drivers and needed to update? But as I said above, without any
further clues to work with I'm really guessing in the dark.