[CentOS] suggestions for simple audio editor

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Thu Feb 28 15:24:12 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 09:38 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 01:21:50PM +0000, Nux! wrote:
>> On 28.02.2013 12:32, Carl T. Miller wrote:
>> After trying several Google searches, it looks like audacity is
>> the audio editor of choice, but I'm finding it very difficult to
>> work with.  Notably I am not able to make a selection with finer
>> granularity than a full second.
> I don't understand,... I can select very fine-grained selections in
> Audacity. You probably need to zoom in on the track so you can position
> the cursor properly, but once you've done so, you can select very
> precisely.

Yes, that's what I expected.  But even after zooming in with
the zoom tool to where I see hundreths of a second, I still
cannot select less than a full second at a time.

>>> Are there any simple audio file editors that you can recommend?
>>> I'd like to find something more intuitive than audacity, but am
>>> not having much luck with my searches using yum and google.
>> If you're only interested into cutting out part of the audio, ffmpeg
>> can extract certain intervals and I think it has a finer granularity.
Nux, I was hoping to find a gui to do it all.  For now I'll try
using audacity to find the start/finish times and then ffmpeg
to extract.