[CentOS] Is this right? -- Centos 6 and RHEL 6 infrastrure for continuous update/upgrade

Sat Feb 9 01:45:48 UTC 2013
Gelen James <hahaha_30k at yahoo.com>

Hi all,

Both RHEL 6 and CentOS 6 can be installed from any minor releases DVDs: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc. And then got continuous upgrade/update with command 'yum -y upgrade' if repos are setup correct.

But the repos infrastructure is different between the two. CentOS uses two repos:

    ..../centos/6/os/... repo and .../centos/6/updates/...

The updates/ repo contains ONLY updated RPMs between minor releases. currently the updates/ contains updates after 6.3. and the /centos/6/os/ points to 6.3Base.

Question #1:

supposed I installed with Centos 6.2 last year, and let's say Centos 6.4 comes out two months later and I have not updated a single package since initial installation until Centos 6.4 comes out (I am way too lazy :) ), then How can I setup my yum config to not miss any updated packages?

Should I put all three repos inside yum config?

        centos-6.2-kickstart-os
        centos-6-os
        centos-6-updates

  or the centos-6.2-kickstart-os is not needed at all -- the centos-6-os and cnetos-6-updates together contains all latest RPMS since 6.0 -- ? The first way may render yum to report warning of 'duplicate RPM group definitions' or similar.

Questions #2:

I've heard that RHEL 6 uses a different path, they seems to have only one big continuously updated base os/ repository. all the RPMs updated since 6.0 (include RPMs at the published day of RHEL 6.0) are contained in the repo. So only the one repo is in need to upgrade systems at any time. Is this true? and if so, any benefits go with it?

Thanks.

--Robinson