[CentOS] weird issue with qemu-kvm network...

Sat Feb 2 15:58:27 UTC 2013
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

> Isn't the rhel way to install NetworkManager anyway? Because then you can
forget all your ifcfg scripts anyway because they will be overwritten by NM.
> At least that was the cause when i had NetworkManager installed... (That
was why i removed it if i remember correctly)

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxinfo/v3r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fliaat%2Fliaatkvmvirsh.htm

> My RHCSA course material doesn't even touch the subject (At least not
until now). The Red Had documentation is only focused on using virt-manager
and thereby explains not much in that regards.

Of course RHCSA doesn't touch this subject... That's very basic - RHCE
doesn't cover this either in fact (or at least didn't 2 years back and I
doubt that has changed).

Don't look at IBM's stuff when you are using RHEL - always check
docs.redhat.com - admittedly from the point you are at you may not know the
actual question you need to ask anyway...

NetworkManager doesn't support bridging (in rhel anyway) so you need to
remove nm and use the regular network service  configuring ifcfg
appropriately to make all this work.

Here's the relevant documentation you should be using for creating the
bridge in the first place:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-networkscripts-interfaces_network-bridge.html

With that working it will then show as an interface to select when you
create a vm.