[CentOS] The moving of VNC port from 580n to 590n

Sun Feb 3 23:49:25 UTC 2013

On 02/03/2013 04:53 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/3/2013 1:42 PM, Cliff Pratt wrote:
>> There's a lot of conflicting information on this topic on the
>> Internet. Most current VNC servers seem to listen on port 590n. I've
>> seen it claimed that a) port 580n is not used and can be blocked, b)
>> 580n is used for the Java VNC client, c) 580n is used for browser
>> requests for VNC (probably via the Java VNC client, I'd guess).
>>
>> I don't know when the change occurred and it may be that it happened
>> when RH changed from one VNC brand to another.
> traditional Windows VNC always used 590x for client->server
> connections.    580x was used for 'browser' requests to serve up a java
> VNC client that would then use 590x, and some VNC's also use 580x for
> file transfers.   there's also port 550x used by some configurations for
> a 'callback' sort of connection.

For years of using the vncserver on Centos and Fedora, a 'netstat
-a|grep 5802' showed something was listening on that port and my vnc
client both the old one and the current tiger one would connect to port
5802. It has been this way for quite a ways back and sometime in the
last two years when I was not looking, so to speak, the server now comes
up on 5902...

I have no plans to force it back to 580n, I can work with what it is.
Just curious as to when and why.

I know about 550n, as I have used that on headless system installs with
specialized boot CDs where I changed the necessary files (I have the
notes around somewhere on doing this) so the CD would boot, then I could
connect with VNC and do the install.