[CentOS] CentOs 6 DHCP Server and virtual interface

Mon Feb 4 18:16:23 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 02/03/2013 08:11 AM, Grzegorz Sołtys wrote:
>> So, if my WAN IP adress is 83.238.*.* then i need to run DHCP server
>> in the same class of if address. But, if got only this address and i
>> will setup in eg: 83.238.55.10 to 15 range for eth0:0 and there is a
>> machine with WAN address like 83.238.55.13 if gonna to make IP address
>> colission? or then it will be avalible only as LAN Address for my server?
>>

> Yes, if you are going to serve dhcp to a subnet, the server has to have
> an address on that subnet.  It will indeed need to take one of the
> addresses of that subnet, and you can not have one of your other
> machines get that address.
>
> You can use the dhcp machine to do other things on that same address
> though ... so it can do dhcp AND replace one of the other machines.

Or slightly more convoluted, you could run dhcrelay on a machine that
has interfaces on both the subnet serving dhcp and the one where you
want it to be forwarded.   Not sure it would help in this scenario but
it works where the dhcp server is on some other machine.  You still
need the subnet declaration in the dhcp server for the forwarded
subnet.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com