[CentOS] OT - odd behavior of Cisco switch

Thu Feb 7 21:31:01 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> Let's try ASCII art:
>>> (campus net)->[vlan]->[new switch in rm. 1]-> server 1
>>>                     \                      -> server 3
>>>                      \->[switch in rm. 2]->server 2
>>>
>>> And he was seeing traffic between 1 and 2 on 3. And he tried another
>>> server in rm. 1, and saw it.
>>>
>>> Does that make it clearer?
>>
>> Do you have a huge number of machines on this network?  The switches
>> have to store the whole table of all MACs on each side for the ports
>> and a 3750 should default to default to somewhere between 3K and 12K
>> depending on the configuration.    A 'show mac address-table count' on
>> the switch should show the number of active entries and the available
>> space.  I've never had to fiddle with that, but there should be
>> commands to tune the size and aging times.
>
> No, not huge numbers. The old switch they replaced was a 48 port, of which
> *maybe* 2-3 were empty. The new -they've got two of them cabled together
> (and there is much rejoicing). I don't believe *we* can get on their
> managed switch. *sigh*

Not just on 'that' switch.  It has to learn the MACs of all machines
across all interconnected switches across all the VLANs trunked
to/through it.  They'll age out periodically making the switches
broadcast to forgotten/unknown targets but that should get resolved
early in the arp process before tcp connections send big packets.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com