[CentOS] No more support for chrome/chromium on rhel6

Tue Feb 12 17:30:53 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://plus.google.com/u/0/100132233764003563318/posts/Y1s6T44Soby
>
> Not 100% this is true but the problem apparently is that rhel6 uses an
> old version of gtk2.

No clue here.  I don't run X on any of my production systems.
And CentOS isn't my desktop distro.

> If this is true, then it affects my school and my students. I like
> google-chrome and it works very well with google services.  I was
> planning on using C6 for a long time. Does anyone know of a repo that
> intends to keep Chromium working for C6?

The Fedora Project [0] may maintain Chromium builds for EL6.  I know that
in the past they've maintained Chromium builds for Fedora.
It actually seems like someone [1] might be gearing up to do just that for
EL6.

Report back if you give that repo a try as others have indicated on the
"firefox problem" thread that they use Chrom(e|ium) on CentOS 6.

[0] http://repos.fedorapeople.org/
[1] http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/leigh123linux/chromium-stable/