[CentOS] A question

Wed Feb 13 15:13:32 UTC 2013
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

John R Pierce <pierce at ...> writes:

> On 2/12/2013 4:51 PM, Bassem Sossan wrote:
> > I'm beginner with Linux...
> > I have found a good resource, it's a book called "Beginning Red Hat Linux
> > 9"...
> > the centos's version that I've installed "centos 6"...
> > Is this book may be compatible with Centos 6 ?
>
> not really.
>
> Red Hat Linux is ancient.
<SNIP>
I started with Red Hat Linux 5 in 1998.  Mind your manners when calling RHL 9
ancient or I'll come over and hit you with my walker.

Advice to OP: Don't spend much money on treeware books about Linux in general or
CentOS in particular.  The technology moves fast enough that the book will be
obsolete in six months to a year.  I work best with real books because I can
easily dog-ear, underline, highlight, mark, etc. so I understand liking a real
book.

If you really want to have a real book, take the time to visit a local book
store that has a decent selection of technical books and page through some of
the books there to see which author's style fits you.  If you can afford it,
spend the money and support your local book store.  If you can't afford it, see
what you can find on-line, at a garage or yard sale, etc.  Either way, get used
to using Google to get answers to your questions.  The answer will change over
time.

Cheers,
Dave