[CentOS] I want an advice

Thu Feb 14 07:54:14 UTC 2013
Bry8 Star <bry8star at yahoo.com>

Hi,
I had similar problem, initially.

And what i did was, (1) after installing centos (without gui stuff),
(2) i installed webmin (for setting up very important services
at-least for it to start running and provide essential services),
then (3) from a windows machine/box or from another linux box,
access the main linux server(s) via SSH connection, in ssh client
software (4) create tunnel for accessing webmin. webmin allows to
configure servers using web-browser software from remote machines,
and there are many other "webmin" like admin panel software. (none
of the admin panel software are officially supported by centos (as
far as i'm aware), so you're on your own for doing research/learn).
Most of these admin panel software will ALSO allow to access server
via shell/terminal/command-prompt type of window which will appear
inside the web-browser software, for doing command-lines for fine
tuning server software settings. And since you're using SSH client,
you'll already have a shell/terminal, so no need to use that feat
inside the web-browser. If you want to accesss server only via
admin-panel's control port (for "webmin" that control port is by
default the port 10000), then, you can use that shell/terminal
window inside the web-browser software.
Next what i did, (or i suppose to have done), is to (5) create a
non-root regular user, for this discussion i'm naming it "non-root".
i allowed "non-root" to access server from internet/routable IP, and
restricted or disabled "root" user's login via SSH.
(6) Changed SSH client's settings to use that "non-root" user for
ssh connection. When you need to do something that requires "root"
user level access, then use su, su -, sudo, etc command before the
function commands.
(7) i have started to learn linux/centos and configure & fine-tune
further.

IMHO ... Various Data, Settings from servers are needed to be shown
to Admins graphically, for that, use various admin panel type of
software and access it remotely, and avoid using graphical
software/desktop on the server itself.

Using GUI/desktop on "linux server" is considered as very bad recipe
for very very weak/bad configuration/food/product/services, open to
various type of harmful, unwanted activities, loopholes, etc.

But if you MUST have to, only then, after login as root, first
create a non-root / regular user. Logout from root, and login as
non-root. Install GUI/desktop related software via that non-root
user, in some software you will have no choice but to raise the
access level of that non-root user to little bit higher level or add
this "non-root" user in the allowed list, for desktop/GUI related
software to work, (you will need to do your own research for that,
if you want to use non-root and keep the server safer, than using
root directly and open it up to attacks and weak configurations).
And if you do also need SSH access to that server, then create
non-root-2 regular user, and allow only that user to access server
via SSH, no one else.

If i'm making mistake in above instruction procedure, please correct
me, instruct us/mailing-list users, what would be better/safer way
to do this, (a Safer way to use desktop/GUI on centos linux server,
if exist). And my recommendation is in above, the paragraph which
starts with "IMHO".

-- Bright Star.

Received from Bassem Sossan, on 2013-02-13 10:48 PM: