[CentOS] I want an advice

Thu Feb 14 15:42:21 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> I keep hearing this "arcane" - even the author of xkcd commented about not
> remembering tar flags... and yet, 80%-90% of them are trivially obvious to
> me - -r (or -R) for recursion, -f for file. For configuration, such as
> firewalls, there's always copy an existing line and edit, then do a syntax
> check.

The 'arcane' issue isn't so much per-process as it is knowing which
program does what and how or if they interact in a way that affects
your upper-level task.  For example, I don't think it is very obvious
what you have to do for common things like giving a dhcp address with
an associated dns name to a specific device.  Or maybe setting up a
group of users with some special file system access, samba shares, web
logins with group access for several different web apps, and an email
group address.  And as for tar flags, if you use it for backups, which
one will make your restored system bootable?

>      mark "but then, I also spent decades as a programmer"

Then maybe it makes sense for you for each program needed above to not
do much in the way of integrating with the others.  From the
perspective of a user it can seem complicated.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com