[CentOS] More on Re: Really changing the hostname

Fri Feb 15 20:21:50 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM,  <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

>> Oh, and if you're changing the MAC, don't forget, as of CentOS 6, to edit
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. If you don't, you're hosed.
>
> That has not been my experience? We have a bunch of mini-itx machines with
> realtek cards in them that have a high failure rate. I have been swapping
> them for intel cards. I have never messed with the udev rules. All I do is
> edit the HWADDR line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* to show the
> new MAC. I then shutdown the machine, replace the NIC and restart.
>
> These are headless C-6 machines built from a ks.cfg file. Metworkmangler
> never gets installed.
>
> What is messing with udev rules supposed to be necessary?

You should have a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
that associates the MAC address with the eth? name for each of your
NICs.   Certain things (like removing the file, and maybe some
hardware changes) will make it be reconstructed during boot and if you
only have one NIC you wouldn't have much chance of it being wrong.
But, if the name set there doesn't match the name of the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* file with the correct MAC
address, that interface should not start.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com