[CentOS] OT: UPS battery vendor, cont'd

Fri Feb 15 22:25:04 UTC 2013

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/15/2013 4:53 AM, mark wrote:
>> I take it you didn't read previous posts by me in this thread, including
>> my rant about how every OEM LIES, and that they've never tested their
>> "regular" in a rackmount?
>
> OEM would be the battery manufacturer (Panasonic, Yuasa, Universal, etc)
> or the equipment manufacturer (APC, Eaton, etc).   resellers are not OEMs.
>
> where is this 'lie' ?   are you saying APC doesn't test their rackmount
> UPS's in a rack?  I've never seen Panasonic say anything about racks or
> not, their spec sheets talk about temperature, age, voltage, charging etc.

Ok, when I say "OEM" I mean the actual manufacturers of the batteries,
such as Sigma, or PowerSonic. I've spoken to reps from both of them, and
both of them have asserted that the "regular" is fine, even when I've
talked about HR batteries, and the need for them *to* those reps. 100% of
the time, if I put anything *but* HR in, the APC SmartUps will not see it
as correct, and the "replace battery" light stays red, meaning we won't
know when we *actually* have to change it.

Is that clear enough?

> lead prices have shot through the moon, as have transportation costs
> (and lead acid batteries are heavy buggers).   5 years ago I could get
> Panasonic 12V 20AH batteries for about $40 each, now they are around
> $100 each.

That's fine, but I'm talking about the prices I, personally, have written
PO's for over the last three years.

     mark