[CentOS] More on Re: Really changing the hostname

Fri Feb 15 23:45:41 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> dmaned - it is enough to enter the MAC at one place
>>> it does not matter that you have to look at udev and ifcfg
>>> the point is you do NOT need to put the MAC in both
>>
>> And my point is that once the machine has booted and created the udev
>> rule file, it will also have created matching MAC entries in the
>> ifcfg-* files.  It is as much work to remove them
>
> uhm why they are existing at all?
> do you create your ifcfg-files with GUI crap?

No, it is anaconda or kudzu magic that happens before you would get to
a GUI even if you used one.  Delete your copies on a box where you
have console access (or at least dchp) and see what you get after a
reboot.

> there where i work they do not exist since years
> and new machines are not installed from zero, they
> are cloned with existing configs and symlinks to
> the udev-rules in /root/

If the files exist and MACs are correct they normally don't change -
but I'm not quite sure what triggers kudzu to change things.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com