[CentOS] [OT] how does ELF record file scope things?

Tue Feb 19 00:50:33 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013, Paul Norton wrote:

> On 18 February 2013 01:56, Michael Hennebry
> <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>wrote:

>> Once the object files from fred.c and greg.c are linked,
>> how does ELF distinguish the sfunc's and the x's?
>> I've been trying to RTFM, but it hasn't helped?

> The variables and functions belong to a block/file, this is their scope.
> Both functions/variables you mention are actually unique within their
> respective file scope.   ...

How is that scope recorded?
According to nm, the names are the same and they are marked local,
but there is no mention of the particular locality.

> ...                      Also have a look at name mangling.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_mangling. Gcc help @

I'm dealing with C, not C++ or Python or Java.

> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/ IAll the best. Paul

Mailing list archives indexed only by month are not really helpful.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily