[CentOS] Bind - built in root hints?

Wed Feb 20 04:00:54 UTC 2013

On 02/19/2013 08:59 PM, Bry8 Star wrote:
> ofcourse it is now visible. which is good.
> so removing it would not be good. even if bind has built into it
> older or latest hint.

My point, what I have learned over the past few days, is that having a
hint stub for the roots is an artifact of the old way in bind. Today's
bind no longer needs it.  The built in file will supply at LEAST on
working root that would then provide the current list of root
addresses.  Both the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.  For this to break would
require that EVERY root address to change.

So continuing and old practice is just not the best thing.  Even I (I am
an old dog at 62; I sat in front of my first teletype in 11th grade in
1965 tied into a GE Mark IV) can learn to leave chroot behind for
selinux.  Likewise I can figure out that bind can now find the roots by
itself and I don't need to provide the current list of hints which of
course is only hints.  It then learns what is real out there.

So let's get with it.  Eventhough Centos 6.3 comes with bind 4.8.2 which
in bind releases is OLD (Redhat DOES back port security patches), it is
new enough for most of our needs.