[CentOS] Force CentOS 6.3 to discover new video card

Sun Feb 24 21:09:07 UTC 2013
Clint Dilks <clint.dilks at gmail.com>

Hi David

I wasn't actually aware system-config-display had disappeared until you
mentioned it.  But this is the process I would suggest you start out with

At any time but preferably before you have bought the new card research its
Linux Support.  When doing this please don't assume just because I works in
one distribution it will work in another.  Specifically look at its CentOS
/ Red Hat support.  If you are not sure where to start with this then I
personally recommend Nvidia or ATI cards.  This will lead some people into
the debate about whether you should or shouldn't use drivers that are not
open source.  I am not going to say what you should do in relation to that
debate but for myself I simply balance how simple I want things to be
versus what functionality or performance do I need.

As to a process try this:

1. Check if the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists on your system.  Assuming it
does make a backup of it
2. Install your new card ensuring that the old one is disabled or removed
3. Boot into runlevel 3
4. Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf
5. Use startx to manually start an X session.  This hopefully will give you
a X environment you can use that may need some tweaking.

6. Assuming the last step has worked reboot into runlevel 5 as normal.  (
If this fails remember you can always go back to runlevel 3 to help
diagnose issues as needed )

If step 5 fails then I would suggest you let us know what card specifically
you are dealing with.

The only cards I would definitely avoid are those that use the intel driver

Hope this helps :)