[CentOS] running yum update on remote servers

Wed Feb 27 14:24:55 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM, David Hrbáč <david-lists at hrbac.cz>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> We update all the boxes over ssh. Works fine. Those who are afraid of
>> disconnections may always run it within tmux/screen session. As to
>> managing the whole infra, the best tool for that is Spacewalk, but it
>> might be too big for you. So, you can have nagios to check yum status on
>> all the boxes. There is also a tool called apt-dater, see
>> http://www.ibh.de/apt-dater/ Regardless the "APT" in the name it handles
>> yum well.
>
> I don't remember if I've tried this or not, but it should work to simply:
> nohup yum -y update &
> and disconnect (or not....).  Nohup will redirect stdout and stderr to
> a file named nohup.out that you can check later if you haven't already
> redirected elsewhere and disconnects the command from the terminal
> session so it won't be killed if you log out or disconnect.

I can guarantee that I've started a yum update late in the day, and for
some reason the network was *very* slow, and there were a lot of updates,
and I just bg'd it and logged out, and it was finished later that evening.

        mark