[CentOS] Samba authentication against 389 DS

Wed Feb 27 16:18:21 UTC 2013
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Feb 27, 2013, at 8:50 AM, Todor Petkov wrote:

> On 27/02/2013 05:27 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
>> ----
>> a lot of different ways to handle this - it all depends upon which
>> language/tools you use.
>>
>> I have used Webmin LDAP Users & Groups module which can set the
>> sambaNTPassword and userPassword to the same value after encryption.
>>
>> I have also written a framework application in ruby on rails for my
>> current employer which does this and much much more.
>>
>> There is also a smbldap-tools perl toolkit which can integrate with
>> samba and can do the same thing.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> Thanks, I will check smbldap-tools.
>
> I have already users in LDAP. I know, it will be easy if there is a new
> user, then I will just use the same password in the values, but I need
> to sync the current encrypted password to SambaNTPassword, which uses a
> different algorithm. Or just reset and send a new password to the
> person, but if he wants to change it via ssh (passwd), it will change
> only the password, not the samba one.

----
all of the known methods require an unencrypted value to then hash for LDAP sambaNTPassword and there is no way to take an encrypted value from userPassword and convert it to sambaNTPassword

Craig