[CentOS] Spamassassin for Centos 6.3

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jan 4 17:12:55 UTC 2013

On 01/04/2013 11:53 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 04/01/13 15:59, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> In http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd
>>
>> there is a recommendation to NOT use the version that comes with Centos
>> 6.3, but to get the more current version from RPMForge.
>>
>> Is this the 'correct' thing to do on a Centos-based mail server?
>>

> There is no "correct" thing to do or not to do - it's simply a
> recommendation (BTW, I wrote the guide).
>
> It's a recommendation based on the fact that Red Hat can be slow to
> update the SpamAssassin package so the version in rpmforge is invariably
> more likely to be current.
>
> Take now as an example, the distro version is 3.3.1 and rpmforge has the
> current 3.3.2 version in their extras repository. The changelog shows SA
> was updated to 3.2.2 on Wed Jun 22 2011 by rpmforge so at this point in
> time upstream (Red Hat) is at least 18 months behind.
>
> Based on the above information, hopefully you can make an informed
> choice that is right for you.
>
> Hope that helps.

I have been looking at the same issue WRT Postfix.  There the
differences are probably greater between what is available in source and
what is in 6.3.  But I need to resist going with source building, as
then I have to spend more time than I have staying up with fixes.  I
want an RPM repo to fit into the YUM process.

I guess I need some good information on what is reasonable to replace
and how to initially build a system via kickstart with the 'best' rpms.

BTW, I have started this effort following:

http://www.campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/LinuxServersCentOS/Cent6VirtMailServer

Correcting things as I go.