[CentOS] gigantic memory leak in Clock Applet...

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jan 4 22:11:24 UTC 2013

I've discovered recently that something on my Centos 5.8 box (up to date)
is hogging a ton of RAM.

so a little while ago I sat and watched top for a while. it showed
(sorry, I didn't take screen shots or write this down, so the numbers
are a bit rough) that out of 8 gigs of swap, around 2 1/2 was in use,
and all the RAM (except for the little the kernel keeps for itself)
was in use (it's got 4 gigs).

this might not sound bad, but there's hardly ever anything big running
on this box, it's just my home desktop machine used mostly for web
browsing/music/email and similar.

so, watching top run for a while I could eventually make out that
something had "1.6g" flashing in the "RES" column. slowing the refresh
a little I saw that it was "clock applet". so I killed the clock applet
and restarted it, then clock applet showed "11m" in the "RES" column,
and the unused RAM was suddenly like a gig and 3/4, or so, and the
swap used slowly started dropping while the free ram began being used up,
as it normally should.

as I continue to watch it run (10-15 mins later) I can see that clock
applet is now showing 14m in the RES column, so it's still growing.

Is anyone else seeing the clock applet hogging (tons of tiny leaks, I
assume) RAM needlessly?

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.