[CentOS] wiping out data on a disk (no physical acess to the machine)

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Tue Jan 8 22:36:24 UTC 2013

On 01/08/2013 05:06 PM, Yungwei Chen wrote:
> I need to securely wipe out a disk on a remote machine, but I don't have access to that machine.
> Therefore I cannot use the LiveCD+shred (or dd) combination.
> Besides manually shreding known data files, I am wondering if there is a (free) tool that can be used in my case.
> Thanks.

I hoping that you mean to physical access but you can make
an ssh connection.  If so, here are the steps.  Note that you'll
need to replace /dev/sdXX with the device of your swap part-
ition and /dev/sdX with the device of the hard drive.  It will
run for several hours and leave you with a blank hard drive.

1)   connect using ssh and stop all services
2)   swapoff /dev/sdXX
3)   shred -n5 -z -v /dev/sdX
4)   echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
6)   echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger