[CentOS] Fencing a Dell T110 II

Patrick Hurrelmann patrick.hurrelmann at lobster.de
Wed Jan 9 13:43:31 UTC 2013

On 08.01.2013 20:38, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I think I know the answer to this question based on all of the research
> I've done, but figured I'd ask anyway.
>
> I needed a couple of servers for an HA cluster, and our "order" guy here
> ordered me a couple of Dell PowerEdge T110 II. I'd planned on using IPMI
> to fence these things with, but later found out that this model is only
> one of two PE servers Dell sells that has a stripped down BMC on it, and
> allows only local access. It's my fault for not looking closer at the
> specs, but I figured a PowerEdge server would have the stuff I needed.
>
> So now I'm looking for a way to fence these without purchasing more
> equipment. I thought maybe IF-MIB, but I can't discover enough about
> that to determine whether that'll work for me.
>
> I find it strange that using Conga (luci) from a third administration
> server I can reboot these two Dell nodes, and wonder why that works, how
> it's done, and why that wouldn't work as a fence method.
>
> Any one dealt with this particular Dell PE and fencing in any form other
> than using something like an APC fence?
>
> Thanks for any suggests. I've pretty much wore Google out, and I'm now
> in that round-robin mode of results where everything leads back to the
> same pages on different servers.
>
> steve campbell

Hi,

in my test-lab I also have 2 Dell PE T110 II and one older T110. All 3
are a basic configuration (no iDrac express or enterprise). But they do
have ipmi and are controllable and fencable via lan. These boxes just
share ipmi with the onboard nic. Are you sure yours are only accessible
locally? And if you have local ipmi I see no reason why external should
not work.

Regards
Patrick

--
Lobster LOGsuite GmbH, Münchner Straße 15a, D-82319 Starnberg

HRB 178831, Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Martin Fischer, Rolf Henrich