[CentOS] gigantic memory leak in Clock Applet...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:49:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> Think in terms of dollars instead of Mbytes here and it will make more
>> sense that nobody cares anymore.
>
> You ain't got no sense o' history or wonder, Les.

Oh, the days of wooden computers and iron programmers... I've been
there, done that, and didn't like it much.  Per-program memory bloat
doesn't bother me nearly as much as the idea of having dozens of
different shared libraries that all provide the same functionality but
aren't compatible and thus aren't actually shared (and worse, all have
different bugs to deal with).  Or that it is so difficult and unusual
to run multiple X desktops from the same host where all the code space
would automatically be shared by all instances (in the unlikely event
that they ran the same desktop flavor...).  Or that a 'modern' system
will need support for a dozen or more different programming languages
and all their associated libraries none of which will share disk or
RAM..  Or that even though the slowest computer operation for decades
has been moving a disk head, operating systems are still to dumb to
move frequently accessed things to nearby locations.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com