[CentOS] Anybody running cadence on CentOS 6 ?

Theo Band theo.band at greenpeak.com
Thu Jan 10 14:19:51 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013 10:32 AM, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>> >Yes we are.  On Quadro and enthusiast class equipment.  CentOS 5 works fine, but we haven't done any sufficient CentOS 6 testing because other software vendors in Engineering are still not certified for the platform.  What kind of problems are you having?  Perhaps some of our findings will still apply.
>> >
> YES! Thank you very much to all!
> Following your advice, I just plugged in a dedicated video card, added
> proprietary drivers, and now it works fine on CentOS 5!
> This list is wonderful!!:-)
We use Mentor (also an very expensive software toolset) and I have had a
lot of issues getting the drivers work correctly (Ati, Nvidia). The
price for the graphic adapter was not an issue at all. Finding one that
works correctly with the software is another story. The newest Ati
driver worked only once! After every session the workstation had to be
rebooted to get it to work again.

I went over to Cento6 just a couple of weeks ago. Most workstations now
work with the standard Nouveau driver. No problem seen yet. The only
annoying problem is that sometimes an application windows stays "empty".
Simply resizing the window fixes it. for me it's hard to say what
causes. The software needs backing-store on the X server being enabled.
I underdstand this is old technology and I suspect this is now causing
problems. But the bottomline for us is that CentOS6 seems to be easier
with the built-in drivers compared to CentOS5.