[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 18:29:44 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM, zGreenfelder <zgreenfelder at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
>> Considering using rsync on a couple systems for backup, I was wondering
>> if it's possible, and if so how difficult is it, to delete files which
>> have been backed up (in order to save space on the backup media).
>>
>> Anyone with experience doing this?
>
> it's certainly feasible for a a fairly lackluster backup solution
> (e.g. gonna rebuild machine, want all of /home saved to other machine,
> rsync then reinstall to try $new ditro!) but I wouldn't recommend
> rsync for product grade backups; it'd get very complex very quickly
> trying to figure a way to do versioning (rsync would be really good
> for 'oops, I removed X file, but I'd copied it over to M machine, so I
> can recover', not very good at 'someone changed this file 4 days ago
> and now it doesn't do what I want, I'd like to go back to a previous
> version).    at least in my estimation.

Urk, insufficient coffee this morning.  In my previous reply I thought
this was the backuppc list.   Backuppc does in fact do a very good job
of storing backups in minimal space - and can use rsync to do it while
also maintaining versioning so it is great as a generic backup
solution.    But, it doesn't have anything built-in to delete target
files after the copy.   There is an option to run post-backup scripts
that might work.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com