[CentOS] wiping out data on a disk (no physical acess to the machine)

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 07:33:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

> On 01/12/2013 04:33 PM, zGreenfelder wrote:
> > at $long_ago_job we'd use a pxe-netboot image; effectively DBAN
> > (http://www.dban.org/).   which only really works if you have another
> > server in the remote location to act as the pxe server.
>
> Anything that you can PXE boot, you should also be able to load from GRUB.
>
> http://ralintech.blogspot.com/2011/02/remote-wipe-with-dban.html

If the OP has a BMC/ILO in his server, he could set the next boot device to
a PXE server he controls.  Then issue a reboot via serial over LAN and it
can boot whatever live Linux image (benefit being SSH is available) and
shred from there.  DBAN is nice as it is/can be automated, but it may not
be a suitable solution for this situation.  The OP will not have any SSH
access with DBAN nor access to the console (I'm thinking serial over LAN)
because DBAN does not likely output to a serial port.

> If DBAN features SSH, this would work.  I assume that it does, since the
> blog is specifically about remotely wiping a system.

To the best of my knowledge DBAN has not had SSH support added.  The
original/primary developer no longer works on the project.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //