[CentOS] Off-Topic: Low Power Hardware

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 18:15:51 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

> On 01/11/2013 06:55 AM, SilverTip257 wrote:
> > I'm in search of some hardware that consumes a low amount of power for
> use
> > as a test-bed for Linux, various coding projects, and LAN services.
>
> I use the Soekris 6501 fairly extensively.  It's available in a much
> smaller than 1U case, or 1U if you prefer:
> http://soekris.com/net6501.htm

 Oh wow - those 6501s have SATA ports and all.
And it looks like their Atom E6xx CPU [0] supports Intel VT-x.

[0] http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/hwsw/hardware/atom-e6xx/overview

> However, Supermicro makes some systems that are probably just as good,
> with two instead of four NICs:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101365
>
> Once you add RAM to the Supermicro, the two are very similar in cost.

This Supermicro has a BMC card which is nice, but for $400 US I'd really
want Intel VT-x like Karanbir's system has.
The Atom D525 CPU [1] doesn't have VT support, but has 64-bit support.
This system is still a viable option - Thanks!

[1] http://ark.intel.com/products/49490

Thank you everyone for your helpful hardware suggestions.

--
Mike