[CentOS] Off-Topic: Low Power Hardware

Peter A loony at loonybin.org
Mon Jan 14 18:27:48 UTC 2013

On 01/14/2013 11:20 AM, Matt Garman wrote:
> Of course, with these "real" CPUs (compared to e.g. Atom), power
> consumption will be much higher when loaded. But from what I've read,
> the "real" CPUs are actually better in the long run, because their
> computation efficiency is so much higher.

Thank you, I was just going to post something very similar. I recently
upgraded from a system with an Atom to an Ivy Bridge i3-3220. The system
is mostly idle but is used for a small webserver, grabs images from a
webcam once a minute and is used as a backup target with rsync. Same
2GB, integrated graphics, 2 disks in a mirror.
Idle power went from 18W to 24W for the whole setup. I didn't measure
full power on the old system but on the new one it peaks at 83W. However
my kill-a-watt shows that over a two weeks, the power usage of the new
system is almost identical to the old one. The reason is that a rsync
run (through ssh) took almost 50 minutes before, now its down to about 6
minutes. So max power for 6 minutes vs 50 minutes makes up for the 30%
increase in idle power...

Peter.

--
First they came for the machine guns,
and you didn't speak out because you didn't like guns.