[CentOS] Off-Topic: Low Power Hardware

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jan 14 21:03:32 UTC 2013

On 1/14/2013 7:24 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> Looking at the specs for N40Ls though put me off because they're rated
> at 150W. Or am I missing something here?

that may be the PSU rating, but 55W active is more typical, and thats
with 4 3TB 7200rpm SATA drives.

btw, those AMD Neo CPUs are no slouches, they seem quite a bit faster
than the equivalent Intel Atom processors.

I have a N40L with 8GB ram and 4 x 3TB running FreeNAS off a 4GB USB
stick (internal), runs quite nicely.   8.1TB (binary) usable with ZFS
raidz...   its functioning as my home SMB and Media server, I get a
consistent 80MB/second reading/writing large files from a windows
desktop -> freeNAS using windows file sharing over gigE, thats about as
good as it gets (the SATA drive on my desktop formatted NTFS probably
isn't much faster).