[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:13:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
> On 01/18/2013 01:59 AM, M. Fioretti wrote:
>> even if all the "rsyncing" needed would be something equivalent to "mv
>> holidays_2013 family_holidays_2013" on the remote server. Is it
>> possible to tell rsync to behave in that way?
>
> No, which is why some people use Mercurial or git to keep data in sync
> in multiple places.  It's not very space efficient, but can be more
> network efficient than rsync in transferring changes and renames.

I think an incremental 'dump' can catch renames.   zfs's incremental
send/receive would track just the changed disk blocks.  Not sure what
else would handle it better.   Backuppc would transfer a new copy but
if you were keeping more than one backup the matching files would end
up being stored as links to each other and not take additional space.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com