[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

James Freer

jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:01:04 UTC 2013

I've just installed v6.3 as a desktop (from
Centos-6.3-i386-LiveCD.iso) and to get the hang of the Centos approach
and then hope to move on to a server. I've been using linux *buntu for
5 years.

Hope i don't sound like a nit but i've got a little confused with the
repos. Hoping someone would be kind enough just to clarify. This
installation is for stability whilst installing the latest versions
available.

a] What happens if i select these? I assume that Centos6 is correct so
why these?

In software sources i have checked;
Centos6-base, Centos6-extras, Centos6-updates

unchecked;
Centos6-contrib, Centos6-media, Centos6-plus
i did check these three and media wouldn't, and plus wanted to suggest
installation kernel 2.6 [gulp]. Each unchecked without installing.

Then we also have the same for 6.0, 6.1, 6.2?

b] So which repos to use as i'm unsure where apps are i want to use
like efax (ok that's in), yumex, pyrenamer, llgal, abiword. at present
i'm not sure which repos to use other than the one's i've mentioned.

I then started to look at the repos
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Centos extras and plus -- are these the same as above?
CS/GFS, Centos testing, Fast track, debuginfo, contrib, CR - would
seem not applicable to me.

3rd party repos
rpmforge (DAG), and EPEL seem likely
other repos seem likely to replace core packages which wouldn't be applicable.
Google RPM gets a "use with care". I used the google browser on *buntu
from their website with no problems so i was wondering what the
problem would be and whether to use this repoo or the website. The
fact that a maintainer has made this repo suggests a reason rather
than just convenience.

c] Could one just use pkgs.org to install from?

My google "centos abiword" threw up yet another repo 'puias' and this
has the latest Abiword version 2.8.6.
http://pkgs.org/centos-6-rhel-6/puias-i386/abiword-2.8.6-3.puias6.i686.rpm.html
I could just install from pkgs.org/centos-6 it would seem? Point is
the repos are maintained by an expert rather than folk just
downloading.

I was then confused further by this
http://miles.isb.bj.edu.cn/2012/03/09/how-to-install-abiword-on-centos-6-x64/
One needs to add epal and rpmforge just for abiword? Surely the
dependencies would be in the same repo

I'm sure all is quite simple really but i'd be grateful for the
guidance before i mess up an installation.

thanks