[CentOS] How to setup VNC for GDM access on 6.3

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Wed Jan 23 12:56:17 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 05:48 AM, Ron Yorston wrote:
> Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>> I'm looking for pointer for setting up VNC so that access to the system
>> is via gdm/kdm.  Yes, I know about vino, and /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
>> but what I'm looking for is a sertup that allows me to see the *dm login
>> screen instead of being dropped direct into a desktop.
> I set this kind of thing up many years ago on CentOS 4.  I was curious to
> see if it still worked on CentOS 6 and found that this works for me:
>
>     Edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf to add 'Enable=true' to the '[xdmcp]'
>     section.  Restart gdm.  (I just did 'telinit 3; telinit 5'.)
>
>     Run this command to start a server:
>
>     /usr/bin/Xvnc :1 -query localhost -geometry 1100x850 -securitytypes none &
>
> Given a properly configured (or disabled) firewall you should then be able
> to run 'vncviewer hostname:1' to get a login screen.
>
> Once you've logged in the session will persist even if you close vncviewer,
> so you can reconnect later.  This is, of course, hopelessly insecure.
>
> Starting Xvnc from xinetd is also possible, but then sessions aren't
> persistent.
>
> For some reason that I've never been able to fathom if you log out from
> a persistent session there's an annoying delay until the login screen
> reappears.
>
> Ron

Hello,

I set my xorg.conf file like below and I can then run:
vncviewer :0

and it just like I am sitting at my desk logging into kdm.

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "Default Layout"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
         Load "vnc"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by system-config-display
         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
         Driver      "kbd"
         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Videocard0"
         DefaultDepth     24
         Option "SecurityTypes" "VncAuth"
         Option "UserPasswdVerifier" "VncAuth"
         Option "PasswordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
         EndSubSection