[CentOS] How to setup RAID 5 + 1 hot spare?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Jan 24 06:12:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Ren Wen shan <renws1990 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to this group so please forgive me if this question has been
> already asked.
>
> With four identical hard drives, I want to setup RAID 5 + 1 hot spare by a
> fresh CentOS (6.3) installation.
>
> I have read this article (
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-raid-config.html
> )
> and watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm3MkuTfDLw), now I
> have the basic ideas.
>
> However, due to my limited experience and knowledge on this area, I am
> still confused.
>
> To make things easier, I only need a swap and a `/' partition.
>
> Could you give me any hint on this? What should I read to get the basic
> knowledge? How can I setup a simple RAID 5 + hot spare?
>

> Regards,
> - Meatball

Since you're new to this list, and this topic, I'm going to spare you the
headache. Don't use RAID5 Even with a hot-spare, if you use large drives
chances are you'll loose everything if one of the drive fail and you need
to rebuild the whole set.

Rather use RAID 10. The newer CentOS installation disks has an option to
setup RAID10, alternatively.

There are numerous tutorials out there on how todo it, but this one seems
quite easy to follow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlOK1voR2nA

--
Kind Regards