[CentOS] How to configure display on CentOS 6?

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Fri Jan 25 08:02:18 UTC 2013

On 23/01/13 17:04, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Toralf Lund wrote:

>>> *sigh*
>>> still miss Xfree86 and the xconfigurator, that was *NOT*
>>> desktop-dependant, and let you configure graphically and tune it.
>> Exactly. The tool mentioned above was actually post XFree86, though...
> Right. I hate having to edit xorg.conf by hand - it's a real pain, init 3,
Exactly.

I have to say that I had some major headaches (mostly related to using
KVMs) even with system-config-display with CentOS 5, though, related to
the fact that the "auto" stuff would sometimes override the xorg.conf
settings...

>> Anyhow, I guess I suspected that the program was removed completely with
>> no real replacement. Bad decision, if you ask me, but I suppose Red Hat is
>> to blame, and not the CentOS people. It's nice to know that you can still
> Oh, of course it was RH's. I think they've gone to "but it'll work out of
> the box, like WinDoze!!!" (not that they're alone in that).
> <snip>
Yep. This sort of worries me. I mean, one of the main reasons for using
Linux, is that it does not traditionally take that approach - so you're
not completely stuck the day things don't "magically" work after all.

It worked out of the box exactly "like Windows", by the way, that's why
I needed to fix things ;-)
>> It seems like the  system-config-display still can be built and used on
>> the latest versions, though. I actually found a binary version via a
>> little search. It actually turned out that I didn't need it to get my
>> display up and running, as the problem was actually a missing driver
>> package, but I still think it's nice to have.
> Really! Do you have a link to src?
What I found was this:

http://pkgs.org/centos-6-rhel-6/russian-fedora-free-x86_64/system-config-display-2.2-3.el6.R.x86_64.rpm.html