[CentOS] firefox 18

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jan 25 12:40:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:32:57AM +0000, lhecking at users.sourceforge.net wrote:

> > You can install a separate python 2.6 stack - e.g:
> > <http://pkgs.org/centos-5-rhel-5/epel-i386/python26-2.6.8-2.el5.i386.rpm.html>
> >
> > This won't interfere with the default CentOS 5 python 2.4 install
> >
> > I think the firefox build process looks for a 'python2.6' binary - if
> > not, then just add a line to your mozconfig like:
> >
> > PYTHON=python2.6
> >
> > I didn't do this, as I already had access to a locally rebuilt 2.6
> > install - but I guess the above should work, although I have no idea how
> > much of the 2.6 stack will be required ...
>
>  Thanks, James! The epel version of python26 works fine, and the only other
>  package I needed was yasm from rpmforge. Build took <13m on a reasonable
>  machine :)

the build process explicitly checks for python 2.7 or greater, so how
does 2.6 succeed?

from the mach build tool:

	#!/usr/bin/env python
	# This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
	# License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
	# file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

	from __future__ import print_function, unicode_literals

	import os
	import platform
	import sys

	# Ensure we are running Python 2.7+. We put this check here so we generate a
	# user-friendly error message rather than a cryptic stack trace on module
	# import.
	if sys.version_info[0] == 2 and sys.version_info[1] < 7:
	    print('Python 2.7 or above is required to run mach.')
	    print('You are running', platform.python_version())
	    sys.exit(1)

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.